Skip to main content and ulimit.... a tricky combo

From version 7 onward, the Application Server scripts and configuration scripts have the good manner to set by themselves the right ulimit valu. So ulimit is now less a problem than it was before. The problem is that, sometime when dealing with linux services,things do not always get right.

For example you get exceptions such as

[11/14/13 12:06:15:483 CET] 00000066 exception     E authenticateWithPassword
                        CWWIM4520E  The 'javax.naming.CommunicationException: [Root exception is Too many open files]' naming exception occurred during processing.

(In case you are asking, yes, network connections are counted as open files)

That's why I strongly suggest to modify your /etc/security/limits.conf (on RedHat) before restarting your machine, after you added service to your linux box. We added to the file the following two lines to the /etc/security/limits.conf

*               soft    nofile            32768
*               hard   nofile            32768

and then restarted the machine and had my Connections environment working.


giorgio dosi said…
Io l'avrei chiamato "Collabora et Labora"... perchè non amo molto "l'ora" :-) Ciao Franceschiello ;-)

Popular posts from this blog

Building bitcoin/litecoin on mac os x missing EC.h

For my own fun, I was playing around with bitcoin, to check how the parameters of the cryptocurrencies can be modified.

After recent upgrades to my OS, I could not build any longer the bitcoind. Seems like something changed on that side. Now this command

./configure --with-gui=qt5 --enable-debug
Was sistematically producing 
configure: error: OpenSSL ec header missing

EC is the file for elliptic curve cryptography. I had brew correctly configured, and the header files were all correctly present. After some time spent inspecting the issue, on github I was able to find the solution for this problem. I simply add to export the following
export LDFLAGS=-L/usr/local/opt/openssl/libexport CPPFLAGS=-I/usr/local/opt/openssl/include
There is aksi pull request on bitcoin for that, I hope I could save you some time

Hybris setup issue: Unsupported major.minor version 52.0

While I was typing the final "ant all" command for hybris, it miserably failed with the following exception

hybris/bin/platform/resources/ant/antmacros.xml:123: java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError: de/hybris/ant/taskdefs/DbDriverValidator : Unsupported major.minor version 52.0 at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass1(Native Method)

Even though a "java -version" gave me back version 8, ant is still using $JAVA_HOME variable.
So you have to change it into the script. My suggestion is that you adapt the setantenv.bat script with the JAVA_HOME directly

@echo off
set ANT_OPTS=-Xmx512m -Dfile.encoding=UTF-8
set ANT_HOME=%~dp0apache-ant-1.9.1
set JAVA_HOME=C:/Program Files/Java/jdk1.8.0_101
set PATH=%ANT_HOME%\bin;%PATH%
rem deleting CLASSPATH as a workaround for PLA-8702
echo Setting ant home to: %ANT_HOME%
ant -version

How I ran Gradle with cntlm

I was behind a corporate firewall and had to run gradlew (gradle) from Cygwin. The system was running a cntlm authentication proxy.

I ran the following command

export http_proxy=
export https_proxy=$http_proxy

Then I ran

./gradlew -Dhttps.proxyHost= -Dhttps.proxyPort=3128 -Dhttp.proxyHost= -Dhttp.proxyPort=3128

I hope it helps